Joyce Meyer said, “𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧’𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐍𝐄𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝.”
What I’ve learned through my work in career services over the last 15 years, is that people thrive and prosper when you empower them to shape their own career and life story. Please remember that no matter what has happened to you in the past or what is going on in your life right now, it has no power to keep you from having an amazingly good future!
Everyone wants to be happy; to have a life filled with love, health and prosperity. We all know that having a positive attitude feels better than a negative one. We also know that positivity fuels success and makes life brighter.
But being positive is an art and must be practised daily for long-term success.
Unfortunately, some of us are often attracted to a negative outlook on things. But negativity brings us down and burdens us with sadness, anger, resentment and frustration. It’s overwhelming and can truly take a toll on us – emotionally, physically and spiritually. Negativity is heavy and crippling. Negativity is debilitating!
So how can we establish a more positive, balanced and fulfilling outlook on life and our careers?
You can start by taking care of yourself first. Some of us are natural pleasers, often forgetting to give ourselves a piece of the pie of life. Make yourself a priority. Honour your personal wishes, thoughts and decisions, it promotes happiness and fulfilment.
I’ve put together a list of things you can apply to impact a positive life:
- Be heard and understood!
- Practice self-love.
- Support others, give compliments.
- Embrace your failures, learn from your hardships and evolve through life’s difficulties.
- Don’t gossip. Don’t even listen to gossip. It’s toxic!
- Be forgiving of yourself when you do mess up. Remember, you’re human, and mistakes are healthy and part of life.
- See the beauty in yourself and others.
- Slow down, take a deep breath. Don’t strive for perfection; strive for happiness, balance and peace.
- Say daily affirmations. Repeat them often with conviction until you believe them. Keep repeating them again and again until they become part of who you are!
- Avoid negative people- they will take you down.
- Remember, positivity is contagious so surround yourself with optimistic, realistic and loving people.
- Take a stance for what you believe in. Don’t be a bystander. Make a difference.
- Explore activities that nourish your mind and your soul. Yoga is a great one but not for everybody!
- Love others and yourself generously.
- Be authentic and true to yourself.
- Stop negative self-talk in its tracks. Recognise your value, attributes, skills and wisdom.
And finally, being positive is about finding balance. It’s about allowing yourself to fail, to be down or overwhelmed but then finding the strength and motivation to pick yourself back up. It’s realising that difficult life and career experiences help us to learn and evolve.
When life is filled with stress and hardships … embrace them … learn from them and then move on! It’s what we do with these experiences that count and in turn make our life outcomes more positive, fulfilling and happy.
Good luck. I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous future!