When to Hire a Reference Checking Service
- If you’re getting interviews, but not offers, the problem isn’t your résumé — it’s probably your references. Give some thought to who you’re listing as a reference — and what they might be saying about you.
- According to reference checking companies, nearly half of all reference checks result in a negative outcome. Take a minute to think about who on your reference list might (intentionally or unintentionally) give a negative reference about you.
- Make sure you’ve obtained permission from each one of your references to list him or her as a reference for you! The number one reason for a poor reference is that your reference wasn’t prepared for the inquiry!
- If you suspect a previous employer may be giving you a negative reference, consider hiring a company to conduct a reference check on your behalf.
- Don’t ask a friend to check your references. He or she may ask illegal questions inadvertently or allow something to “slip” during the conversation. Plus, a professional service can provide certified reports or sworn affidavits if you uncover a reference providing damaging information.
Keep an eye out for PART 8 in the series: Tips for Success In Your Jobs Search……Information provided by Carolyn from Total Resumes